Other names for this skill: full, full twisting layoutB value skill
FIG Code Group: IV
FIG Code Box: 27
Drills for Back 1/1.
- Note: discussion will be for a right twist, just switch all R/L directives for a L twist.
- The gymnast should work a lay out 1/2 twist by dropping their right arm and looking to the right.
- Once the half is understood then the full twist is just a matter of dropping the left arm shortly after the right so that both hands are close to the right hip.
- To correct an early twist, a common problem.
- Set an 8" mat on a trampoline.
- Have the gymnast work 3/4 backs to their stomach on the trampoline.
- Have the gymnast initiate the twist only after they see the mat, still landing flat.
- Hey it's simple, fun, and easy. Once layout shapes and positions are memorized by muscle (not mind) begin to do layouts to your feet. Progress to layout and as you land do a quick half turn on your feet. Later, begin to do this faster and faster, eventually leading to doing it just before landing. Once the half begins to come naturally, do the half to a good landing, and then do another half turn. Repeat this faster, and faster until the second half is done and VOILA!! There you have your full twister.
Do you know an alternate name for this skill? If so click here.